Tuesday, July 17, 2012

22 weeks and a (hopefully) minor hiccup...

At our last routine appointment with Maternal and Fetal Medicine we were informed that my cervix was much too short for being only 22 weeks. They were concerned I was having preterm contractions and sent me to Triage to get hooked up to a monitor right away. In turned out that I was having contractions, even though I wasn't feeling them and they hospitalized me to be under observation. They started me on progesterone (an old friend during the IVF process) and Indocin (an anti inflammatory med used to slow contractions). I was also having a flare up of ulcerative colitis so gastroenterology was involved in my care during my hospitalization. I was in the hospital for 48 hrs and was only allowed up to use the bathroom. I'm home now and was instructed to lay low until my follow up appointments tomorrow. I was NOT ready to be out of work so soon and I'm hoping things are stabilized and they'll let me return on a modified schedule. I have a feeling I may be on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy. The most important thing is for the babies to stay put for quite awhile longer! Despite that scare, we're coping well. We appreciate all the well wishes, thoughts, and prayers coming our way. We'll overcome this just as we have overcome every other obstacle along this journey. In lighter news, we have named our twins! We're open books about the names, so I will share. Our boy is Grant Ryan (Grant to always remember and be grateful for the grant we were awarded from the Cade Foundation, which made IVF a realistic option. Ryan as a middle name should be obvious!) Our girl is Teagan Rylie (Teagan is an Irish name we have both always loved and agreed upon for many years.  Rylie is just a cute name that went well with Grant's middle name). G&T are very excited to enter this world, but we're trying to teach them patience very early on! Here is the photo of my bump progression through 22 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment