Since our last entry, we got a phone call letting us know that out of the 11 eggs retrieved, 8 were mature enough to be fertilized and 5 were showing early signs of fertilization. Then we got a call the next day and said the 5 had developed into embryos. The embryos would continue to incubate for the next 3 days and then we would go into the office to discuss the quality of the embryos and Dr. Filer would make recommendations on which one(s) had the best chance of successful implantation. So that's what we did today...
I had to get up at 6am and start downing 48oz of fluid so that my bladder was full when we got to the office at 7:15. I had to sit uncomfortably in the waiting room crossing and uncrossing my legs and trying not to think about how badly I had to pee. They called us back and reviewed what would be happening today and the discharge instructions. I had an ultrasound and then Dr. Filer came in with a photo of our 2 best embryos (see below). He said they looked great and he thought we should implant both and we agreed. He informed us that they would have to use assisted hatching because the lining around the blastocysts was thicker than they would have liked. Assisted hatching means they make a small hole in the lining to give the blastocyst an "exit" to break out of the lining and attach itself to the uterine wall.
If you're wondering what happened to the other 3 embryos- one of them stopped growing at 10 cells and the other two were not quite to the level of blastocyst (referring to the number of cells that had multiplied). They will continue to monitor those 2 and then decide if they were good enough quality to freeze. So, after our conversation, I rolled over to one side and had an injection (I thought I was DONE with those!) in my buttocks (ouch!) of Versed, which is a benzodiazepine to help relax me before the procedure. I liked that one! I was nice and calm and I think I dozed off for a short nap. Dr. Filer said the blastocysts were implanted smoothly. I have been taking progesterone (through vaginal suppositories) for 4 days so my uterine lining is supposedly nice and thick and sticky, just what those little guys need. I will continue to take the progesterone 3 times a day, 81mg of aspirin, 16mg of Mendrol (a steroid that is necessary because they did assisted hatching), and a Vivelle (estrogen) patch. At least they aren't injections! These should be a piece of cake. I'm currently on 24 hours of best rest and am required to keep my abdomen completely flat, unless I have to get up to use the bathroom. So far I'm finding it pretty enjoyable, but I'm sure I'll be bored out of my mind in no time.
Our pregnancy blood test is scheduled at the Lancaster office for MARCH 5. So now we are in the dreaded waiting period for the next 11 days. We welcome lots of distractions during this time!!
No comments:
Post a Comment